2) Which eye wouldn't be caught dead without her beloved
V.I. Warshawski by Sara
V.I mentions them
frequently -- you could say obsessively.
3) How much is Nero Wolfe
usually said to weigh?
Between 1/6 and 1/7th of
4) What private eye made a point of frequently dropping
by Happy McMann's tobacco shop?
Television's Martin Kane.
The sponsor of
this early TV show was a tobacco company. The actor later died
of lung cancer.
5) Who said "Do I have any more bullets in this
here gun? Well, with all the confusion, what with being locked
up in a refrigerator, I plum forgot what was in here to start
with. But being that this is a forty-five Magnum, the most powerful
handgun in existence, and it could blow your head clean off,
you just got to ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky
today? Well, do you, punk?'"
6) How many people were murdered in Dashiell Hammett's
novel The Maltese Falcon? Name him/her/them.
Four. Miles Archer, Floyd
Thursby, Capt. Jacobi and Casper Gutman.
I said "in
Dashiell Hammett's NOVEL."
7) Who's the only actor to appear in films based on
novels by Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler and Mickey Spillane?
Elisha Cook Jr.
He appeared in The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep and I,
8) Which private eye boasted an "action-packed expense
Radio's Johnny Dollar
9) Who hasn't played Philip Marlowe?
William Powell, James Garner, Danny Glover, Robert Mitchum or
A trick question.
William Powell played Nick Charles in the Thin Man movies and
Dick Powell played Marlowe in Murder, Ny Sweet. But Danny
Glover did indeed fact play Philip Marlowe in Showtime's Fallen
10) Who runs a a one-man agency out of Cincinatti's Riorley
Harry Stoner by Jonathan
11) Who are Santa Teresa's two most famous private eyes?
Lew Archer by Ross Macdonald
and Kinsey Millhone by Sue Grafton.
real-life Santa Barbara the monicker.
12) "Go after the big boys. Oh, don't arrest them,
don't treat them to the dignity of the democratic process of
courts and law... "
No, it's not a quote from the Patriot Act, it's the gospel according
13) What fictional private eye's sons are Frank and Joe?
Fenton Hardy by Franklin
14) Which private eye, mourning the murder of his cop
buddy, went into a bar, bought a bottle of tequila, and told
the bartender, "In case any of your friends come in, let
'em have a drink on Manny Quinlan..."
Television's Harry O, played
by David Janssen.
15) What hard-to-miss swinging dick tooled around Tinsel
Town in a canary yellow 1941 Caddy convertible?
Shell Scott by Richard
16) What P.I. used to tend bar at The Spot in Washington,
Nick Stefanos by George
17) In what novel is a would-be eye named Blue hired
by White to spy on Black who lives on Orange Street (and is spying
on someone else)? And please name the author.
"Ghosts" by Paul
18) In Dashiell Hammett's novel, The Thin Man,
what was the name of the thin man's wife?
In the novel (and the film,
for that matter), the Thin Man isn't married.
In fact the "Thin
Man" of the title isn't Nick Charles, but Clyde Miller Wynant,
who's divorced from Mimi. But since the question could be interpreted
to mean in the past tense, I reluctantly accepted Mimi as the
answer. See what a magnamious guy I am?
19) Which TV eye's theme song was written and performed
by Randy Newman?
Monk (in the second, and subsequent seasons).
20) In "The Pencil" by Raymond Chandler, what
is "almost as crooked" as Los Angeles?
A fact I'm infinitely